Thank you for your interest in learning more about Rockwell Automation employment. We encourage you to apply to positions that align with your background.
We also invite you to leave your contact information with us below and join our Talent Network. Rockwell Automation may then send you periodic email communications regarding employment opportunities.
* This request will only appear once and this information will be used solely for the purposes of communicating information about working at Rockwell Automation.
Responsible for commercial software product development for a core, high growth Rockwell Automation product line. This is an industry-leading product that has won numerous awards for innovation and usability. The position is located in a modern facility with a fitness center, cafeteria, and outdoor wooded walking paths.
In this position you will design and develop new software features, participating in the full development lifecycle. Development is performed in a team environment utilizing sound engineering practices and technology. Responsibilities include collaborating with and influencing multiple cross-functional teams and possible technical leadership of a small to mid-sized team.
• Independently gathers and documents requirements of the feature and its components.
• Contributes to architectural design and independently develops system designs that meet the requirements. Provides manpower/time estimation for the design. Considers tradeoffs between requirements, speed, cost and reliability in the choice of a design approach.
• Develops and documents code, according to the development process, that satisfies the software design. Develops and executes thorough unit test plans. Reports, analyzes, debugs and corrects anomalies. Integrates with other components, solving problems across subsystems and products, to produce a final product. Responsibilities may extend to the technical management of the design, testing and integration of other engineers’ work in related areas.
• Leads or participates in reviews of documents, designs, code, test cases and user documentation.
• Typically responsible for the ongoing maintenance and integrity of several software subsystems.
• Provides work estimates and status reports as requested. Maintains adequate interaction to ensure assigned tasks are prioritized appropriately.
• Keeps informed of new developments in the software engineering and computer engineering fields and disseminates appropriately through the organization. Identifies and participates in technical and developmental training opportunities.
• May function as a go-to person for a technology, software methodology or other area of expertise.
• May function as a technical lead of a small to mid-sized development team.
• Initiates or contributes to software development capability improvement in the areas of software development practices, technology utilization and development tools.
• Clearly communicates and conveys design concepts, both verbally and written. Also able to learn and understand complex control system concepts.
• Effectively teams with others through mutually supportive professional relationships, open and direct communications, honesty and respect. Able to cope with and leverage stylistic differences and differences of opinion.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
• Minimum of 7 years experience in a software product development environment
• Experience with C++
• Experience with operating system fundamentals including Windows and/or Linux specifics
• Familiar with design patterns and application of object-oriented designs
• Experience with multi-threaded implementations and related IPC and synchronization techniques
• Proficient in data structures and algorithms
• Previous leadership experience in commericial software development
• Experience architecting modular software
• Direct experience with the Industrial Automation industry
• Experience in both local and global technical development team environments
• Previous technical team leadership
• Proven application of design patterns
• Proficient in object-oriented designs