The purpose of the Video Control Systems Engineer is position is to provide Engineering leadership for Bright House Networks (BHN) Video Control Systems.
This position uses accrued technical skills and knowledge to provide support for BHN Video Control Systems by applying Engineering disciplines and techniques in the deployment and support of new and existing Video Systems, Services and Infrastructure. The selected individual will be heavily focused on Engineering design and support for our Video Conditional Access Systems (DNCS, DAC, etc), Switched Digital Video Systems (Arris and Cisco), and TWC Mystro Systems.
This position interfaces with internal BHN groups (Video Engineering & Operations, Network Engineering & Operations, Headend Engineering & Operations, Product Management, Marketing, Media Sales, Customer Care, Field Engineering, etc), equipment suppliers/vendors, and the Time Warner Cable (TWC) Advanced Technology Group. This position reports directly to the Video Engineering Manager.
- Perform High Level and Detailed Engineering required to plan and deploy new Bright House Networks (BHN) Video Services
- Provide support to BHN Strategic planning groups
- Respond and Resolve escalated events on supported services
- Utilize Pre-production Environment lab resources to certify Engineering solutions prior to production deployment
- Prepare and provide training material for all new systems
- Manage changes and upgrades to existing systems
- Develop Engineering Plans for all new systems, and periodically review and update existing documentation
- Provide assistance to Video Operations on an as-needed basis
- Perform periodic quality control functions
- Develop and establish procedures for improving platform reliability
- Develop and establish Standards and Best Practices
- Perform Periodic Performance analysis
- Systematically apply technical expertise in the area of Problem Management
- Show leadership abilities and promote teamwork within the department and company
- Communicate in a clear and concise manner when providing instructions to other technical personnel
- Emergency on-call duties may be required during non-business hours in the event of system or network outage
- Ability to respond quickly to a system or network outage if required
- Occasionally assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned
Education, Experience and other qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree in an Engineering or Computer Science program or 7-10 years of related work experience
- Possess a valid Florida Drivers License
- 7+ years experience in Digital Video, Unix, Network or RDBMS Administration
- Proven skill with common computer operating system administration including upgrading and patching, backup and restore actions and the management of common applications such as DNS, NTP, NFS, SSH, FTP, Volume management and X-windows
- Proven experience and skill with programming, including: PERL, JAVA, Shell scripting, SQL, HTML or Python.
- Awareness of Network protocols, routers & switches, Multi-cast video, MPEG, RF, VPN, Terminal Services, Mail, database and Web services
- Proven proficiency with typical tools and test equipment required to support Digital Video Services. Basic knowledge of all Digital Video delivered services and proven advanced skill with at least three Digital Video services.
- Proven experience and skill in the area of project management
- Communicate professionally in a fast-paced setting while fostering a positive working environment
- Team player and self-starter
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Excellent internal customer service skills with an ability to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to perform critical and analytical thinking
- Awareness of the MSO Industry and current trends
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities
- Works inside or outside throughout the year
- Travel periodically (within the US)
- May drive for long periods of time
- May be required to work flexible schedule, overtime and on-call
Materials and Equipment Used
Applicant must be able to use the following:
- Personal Computer
- Test Equipment
The physical demands described in this section are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applicant must have the ability to lift equipment weighing 65 pounds, operate small hand tools, recognize and properly interpret colors. Must be able to distinguish and properly interpret sounds, sit for long periods of time in front of a computer as well as the ability to type and read on a computer.