Why John Deere
At John Deere, we know how much time it takes to nurture seeds into a bountiful crop. We partner with those who feed the world. We create complete solutions from field to farm for our customers so they can be more productive as stewards of the land. The energy-efficient systems in our operations reflect a commitment to protect our environment. We also invest in water technology to better manage and distribute one of earth’s most valuable resources. Experience John Deere and serve the land you live on.
Transforming vision into reality is a complex process that requires skill, dedication and teamwork. At John Deere, our manufacturing engineering and operations team is not only up to the task, but are also masters at refining the process for superior quality, speed and efficiency.
What You'll Do
As a Senior Engineer – Virtual Manufacturing for John Deere in Waterloo, IA you will plan, coordinate and perform virtual (digital) manufacturing engineering work for EPDP (New Product) and OFP (Current Product) Manufacturing Engineering projects. Additionally you will have the opportunity to:
- Provide expertise and technical consultation in virtual manufacturing engineering for Waterloo Works Engineers.
- Assign, coordinate and review portions of the work to support personnel, including other engineers and contractors.
- Lead completion of advanced virtual manufacturing analysis (virtual reality, animations, application of kinematics, etc.) in order to:
a) Innovate cost reduction, quality, safety and ergonomic improvements;
b) Study capacity, productivity & efficiency;
c) Support installation of new equipment and processes.
- Develop & deploy guidelines for application of VM toolset at John Deere Waterloo Works (JDWW), including relationship to DFM analysis and concurrent engineering.
- Create and manage JDWW EPDP fT4 Virtual Manufacturing Schedule.
- Lead analysis of 7R/8R/9R (large tractor) physical build issues to identify opportunities for VM toolset and process.
- Provide tactical support for manufacturing engineers utilizing the virtual manufacturing toolset.
- Maintain operational virtual reality lab at TCAO (Tractor Cab Assembly Operations), including hardware and software.
- Support STEM activities related to use of virtual reality in manufacturing.
- Define toolset and/or process improvement opportunities. Evaluate enterprise projects for compliance with JDWW requirements.
- Direct contractor and/or TCI to complete tasks as appropriate.
- Lead completion of virtual manufacturing toolset and/or process improvement projects to develop and implement new electronic tools that optimize processes and facilities.
- Develop and implement new manufacturing processes and technologies.
- Support implementation of JDQPS (John Deere Quality Production System).
- Develop & deploy training plan for JDWW manufacturing engineers.
- Complete and co-ordinate manufacturing engineer training.
What It Takes
We need an excellent communicator who thrives on solving problems and working in a team environment. Ideally you will have a Bachelors Degree in an Engineering related discipline or equivalent work experience. We also require:
- 3 years manufacturing planning, process and tool system experience.
- Engineering background in areas such as Mechanical, Electrical, Hydraulics or Power Systems, etc.
- Experience with line and process design, material presentation, cycles of imbalance and visual management tools.
- SAP or ERP experience.
- Experience with product and manufacturing CAD data such as Pro/E or Vis.
- Knowledge of capital budgeting and capital equipment justification process.
- Experience with shop floor manufacturing incentive pay systems such as CIPP (Continuous Improvement Pay Plan) and work measurement.
A strong candidate will also have an advanced degree as well as:
- Experience/exposure with virtual reality equipment.
- Experience with Quality Production Systems, New Product Introduction and process flow simulation.
- Advanced knowledge and/or experience with Auto/FactoryCAD, Pro/E, Vis Suite, graphical workstation animation software (Seemage/3D Via/other), Classic Jack, Virtual Reality hardware and software.
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
Can you imagine the challenge of a lifetime and a rewards package that makes it all worthwhile?
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines. An Equal Opportunity Employer, John Deere requires a diversity of people, perspectives and ideas to address the complex challenges of its global business.