Join our Talent Community
Join our Talent Community and be the first to be informed about news and career opportunities at McGraw Hill Financial, and be considered for future roles.
Note: your application for this position begins on the next screen.
The Team Leader is responsible for leading a team of three to four market reporters as it goes about the daily business of producing Platts’ oil market assessments, reporting news and analysis, engaging closely with the marketplace and meeting the high operational standards that our customers demand from us in our frontline work.
This position is directly responsible for our coverage of a wide variety of assessments from the gasoline, naphtha and LPG markets, including a series of critical benchmarks in the US gasoline market. The Team Leader is expected to contribute coverage personally, while leading the team. This includes a responsibility to personally cover market, report news and engage with sources.
LEAD DAILY OIL MARKETS COVERAGE:
- The Team Leader personally covers a market and leads the team coverage of markets within the group, supported and guided by the Senior Managing Editor. The Team Leader will drive excellence in market coverage by keeping our methodologies up to date.
- They will lead the team by example, especially whenever in a market reporting role, and further engage with sources on the phone as well as other media.
- Furthermore, they will advise and mentor staff on market issues as they come up and will assess markets with sharp accuracy, challenging flat-line assessments and stale assumptions.
- They will track trades, update source lists and how to guides rigorously; and will write good news stories and strong commentaries.
- The Team Leader and the team will survey market participants throughout the day in accord with methodology, publish robust assessments on time, and within defined acceptable error rates.
FOSTER STRONG MARKET ENGAGEMENT:
- The Team Leader will foster strong engagement across the oil markets; this is achieved by ensuring that the entire team is well engaged with all our market sources on a daily basis, that they maintain our existing contacts and develop new ones, travel to conferences and events whenever possible and meet people constantly.
- Under the leadership of the Team Leader, the team should ensure it sends regular summaries of meetings to team members.
DELIVER INSIGHTFUL NEWS AND ANALYSIS:
- The Team Leader is responsible to ensure that the team delivers insightful market-related news and analysis; this is achieved by ensuring a steady flow of regular stories personally and from the team, as well as a good crop of strong, original story-reporting.
- The Team Leader must ensure familiarity with the oil team's standards for separating news & price reporting, and that guidelines for beat reporting and communication with the news team are followed; the end result is that the team publishes market-leading, market-related news for the real-time news service early in the day, and for other mediums like blogs, newsletters and online services throughout the day.
- Completion of at least a 4-year college degree
- Extensive analytical experience of at least one energy market or subject area.
- Advanced market reporting skills (reporting, writing, editing, source development)
- Experience working in a deadline-driven environment, ideally real-time
- Good analytical mindset and ability to report clearly on complex issues
- Ability to independently manage a beat or area of coverage
- Knowledge of Excel
- In depth knowledge of Platts pricing processes
- In depth knowledge of physical and derivative trading practices
- Experience of reporting on oil markets
About Platts and McGraw Hill Financial
At Platts, the premier source of commodities intelligence, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
Be part of a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company, and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of McGraw Hill Financial.
McGraw Hill Financial includes Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power, Platts, McGraw Hill Construction and Aviation Week. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
Learn more at www.mhfi.com/careers
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill -dot- com; and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.