Join our Talent Community
Join our Talent Community and be the first to be informed about news and career opportunities at McGraw Hill Financial, and be considered for future roles.
Note: your application for this position begins on the next screen.
The Reporter/Editor is responsible for every aspect of market reporting, including the collection and publication of Crude market information, running an assessment process, assessing the values related to the Crude market, reporting market-related news, writing commentary and analysis, contributing to methodology development and engaging with market sources.
Assess Crude Markets -
- The editor in this position assesses the value of a defined set of markets, accurately and fully in line with our rigorous and well-known methodology.
- The editor will survey market participants (buyers, sellers and brokers) throughout the day; publish price updates through the day as heards, especially all information that might be used in assessing value; run an intensive one-hour or so window period from at the end of the assessment day; demonstrate a thorough understanding of Platts' methodology; be rigorous when using mathematics and excel spreadsheets; demonstrate ability to do a full set of assessments without the aid of a spreadsheet; and ensure our methodology for market is up to date.
Write high-quality market commentaries -
- The editor is responsible for writing commentaries associated with his or her assessments readers. The commentaries are intended to help our readers better understand what is happening in the market, and to better understand how we have arrive at our assessments.
- The reporter should file commentaries as news stories before midday if markets are volatile or unusually interesting; avoid repetitive and formulaic commentaries, where the same structures and phrases are used every day; closely monitor relevant inter-product and inter-region spreads; and ensure commentaries meet our editorial standards for writing and reporting.
Reports news about the markets -
- The editor is responsible for engaging with market sources around the region, including those who are not regularly in the Market-on-Close assessment process.
- Excellent engagement helps ensure we are close to market developments, methodology development is strong, story writing is creative, and that channels of communication are established and open with market sources.
- The editor should find and nurture new market sources; maintain a good relationship with existing sources; and manage all contacts and relationships.
- Preferably two years of relevant reporting or analytical experience (new graduates will be considered with appropriate skills training)
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to perform well with tight deadlines
Familiarity with Excel is a big plus
Second language preferred
About Platts and McGraw Hill Financial
At Platts, the premier source of commodities intelligence, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
McGraw Hill Financial includes Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power, Platts, McGraw Hill Construction and Aviation Week. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
- Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
- Be part of a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
- Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company, and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of McGraw Hill Financial.
Learn more at www.mhfi.com/careers
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill -dot- com; and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.