The Accounting Analyst will be a key contributor to the Corporate Accounting Department at Bright House Networks’ Syracuse, NY headquarters. Under limited supervision, the staff accountant assists the Accounting Manager in performing multiple technical duties related to the accounting and control functions.
This position reports directly to the Manager of Corporate Accounting. This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The company reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparing and reviewing financial statements
- Creation of journal entries for various transactions
- Researching and explaining variances to budget and to prior year
- Supporting senior staff on accounting projects
- Analyzing and reconciling general ledger accounts
- Preparing variance reports
- Preparing monthly reports for financial book
- Special projects, as assigned
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to sit for long periods of time, with occasional standing, walking, bending or stooping. The employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to type, handle or feel; and have the ability to type and read using a computer. The employee must be able to communicate on the phone with the use of a headset. Work is in an office environment at a single location, with occasional travel for meetings and training courses.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong analytical communication and analytical skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to learn
- High comfort level creating and working with spreadsheets
- Ability to prepare clear, comprehensive and accurate reports, working with large amounts of information from a variety of sources.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to work autonomously as well as in a team environment
- Enjoys building relationships and collaboration recognizing its importance in achieving goals and objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field and a minimum of 3+ years of relevant experience required; however a comparable combination of education, job knowledge, and prior work experience will be considered.
- Proficiency in computer spreadsheet software required; experience with PeopleSoft a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communications skills required