Thank you for your interest in learning more about this John Deere opportunity. We encourage you to complete our application process if this position fits your skills, experiences and preferences.
We also invite you to leave your contact information with us below*. John Deere may then send you periodic email communications regarding employment.
* This request will only appear once and this information will be used solely for the purposes of communicating information about working at John Deere.
Why John Deere
Delivers advice to clients where there are questions about the law, facts and company policy with little or no supervisor involvement on matters of low to moderate magnitude. Knows the law of general practice areas; requires some research; implements an agreed upon conclusion and drafts unique documents to include all agreed upon provisions. Monitors and is alert to emerging trends in the broader business environment as they relate to general practice. Recognizes the absence of clear legal precedent; verifies through research. Has sufficient knowledge of the Enterprise or assigned Company area to recognize the potential for issues in other areas; checks with colleagues and business leaders to verify. Identifies precedent setting implications in the matters in which they are engaged. Assists in setting company policy. This position is located in the Burlington office.
- Delivers legal and compliance advice to clients where there are questions about the law, facts and company policy with little or no supervisor involvement on matters of moderate magnitude.
- Knows commercial, secured lending, consumer, advertising and bankruptcy laws, ideally privacy, data protection, requires research; recommends and implements an agreed upon conclusion and drafts unique documents to include all agreed upon provisions.
- Monitors and is alert to emerging trends in the broader business environment as they relate to JDF.
- Recognizes the absence of clear legal precedent; verifies through research.
- Has sufficient knowledge of the Enterprise or assigned Company area to recognize the potential for issues in other areas; checks with colleagues and business leaders to verify.
- Identifies precedent setting implications in the matters in which they are engaged. Assists in setting company policy.
- Provides research, legal counsel, recommendations, and alternatives for the more complex legal questions and issues.
- Drafts, negotiates, and/or files legal briefs and documents including opinions, contracts, notices, agreements, registrations, and licenses.
- Assists senior attorneys in analysis of issues to identify legal problems.
- Reviews legal documents for compliance with applicable laws.
- Stays current on emerging trends in the law through continuing legal education, reading, professional conferences, and participating in professional associations.
What It Takes
- Knowledge of risk management within areas of specialization and responsibility.
- Legal knowledge and understanding.
- Understands legal issues affecting area of responsibility, able to identify issues associated with assigned tasks, and able to spot ethical issues in practice.
- Ability to perform legal research using the internet plus various on-line tools and other various programs.
- Skill in interpersonal communications, negotiation, and conflict resolution.
- Effective concise writing skills, including grammatical usage, persuasive copy and style.
- Ability to provide compelling unit legal and compliance training to supervisors and employees
- Willingness to travel less than 5%.
- Degree in a Law (LLB) and membership in good standing in the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Significant experience in the overall corporate legal environment.
- Experience in the general practice of law in a private law firm or corporate law department.
- Experience in a financial institution.
In accordance with the John Deere Accommodation Policy, reasonable accommodation of any of these qualifications may be considered.
This position will be posted for a minimum of 7 business days and unposted when a qualified pool of candidates is achieved.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon the Company receiving a satisfactory criminal background check report prior to the start date, as well as educational verification (proof of highest level of education) and proof of the legal right to work in Canada (e.g. birth certificate, work permit).
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
An equal opportunity employer, John Deere requires a diversity of people, perspectives and ideas to address the complex challenges of its global business.