The Research Analyst II primary responsibilities are to support prioritization as well as direct implementation and management of 3rd party data collection and processes for market fundamentals in oil or other Platts sector. This role has primary responsibility within a sector for 1)ensuring that the portfolio of 3rd party datasets is in alignment with sector-defined strategic and revenue priorities, 2) ensuring that data content is collected, quality checked, and delivered to meet deadlines and product updates, and 3) generating and updating analytical and graphical data reports for distribution
• Act as a primary point of contact/liaison between the Data Management group and editorial and product management, to ensure ongoing strategic alignment & prioritization. This includes contributing to regular data portfolio reviews and cost/benefit analyses of datasets. This also includes acting as a champion to support internal use and product distribution of data management content
• Leverage existing data management processes to implement and maintain the optimal strategy for collecting, loading, cleansing, and delivering relevant content (to internal & external customers). Work with data group management to implement sector-specific quality assurance program for content.
• Conduct market assessment of available & relevant content to be delivered as part of oil (or other sector) core market fundamental data. This may include ongoing collection and management of time-series data (such as price/demand/import/export/etc.) and/or asset ‘tracker’ type datasets.
• Generate graphical and analytical reports using Tableau (includes tabular output, charts, graphs, and analytical assessments) or other business intelligence tool to be used for quality assurance, trend analysis, and generating news/story content. This may include analysis of internally-generated content as well, such as MOC.
• Ensure all deadlines & quality metrics for content delivery are consistently met. This may include task oversight of other analysts in the group assisting with specific dataset processing.
• Completes ad-hoc data pulls from database as requested.
• Develop professional relationships with high-value data sources.
• Reviewing industry publications and tracking additions and changes to source materials including conducting interviews with industry representatives.
• Aids in the training of new analysts.
• Exercises discretion and judgment while processing collected information, which includes: evaluation of completeness, verification of accuracy, & incorporation into proprietary database system.
• Excellent research and solid communication skills. Must be detail oriented.
• Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree; a focus on energy, mineral economics, science, mathematics/statistics, or other related field is a plus.
- Excellent analytical and research skills a must
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Complex problem-solving aptitude
- Enthusiastic/self-motivated with ability to work under pressure either independently or in a team environment
- Ability to synthesize disparate information into actionable project summaries and datasets
- Expertise in the energy industry
- Computer-literate with strong internet searching and source qualification skills
- Ability to use organizational/time management skills to prioritize workload
- Customer service experience
- Expert Microsoft Excel and statistical application expertise
- Experience with Oracle database/SQL
- Familiarity with research best practices
- Flexible approach to cover colleagues’ work when needed
- Expertise in extract, transfer, load and business intelligence applications
About Platts and McGraw Hill Financial
At Platts, the premier source of commodities intelligence, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
Be part of a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company, and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of McGraw Hill Financial.
McGraw Hill Financial includes Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power, Platts, and McGraw Hill Construction. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
Learn more at www.mhfi.com/careers
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill -dot- com; and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.