The position performs analysis on the reporting activity of the Oil team on a regional basis and provides critical support in research and publishing of assessment data and copy. As a member of the bench, this editor is primarily involved in extensive training, support and research – all of which is part of preparing the editor for an eventual move into a price reporting role with one of our market reporting teams in the region.
The role is key to gathering data and market intelligence as well as performing analysis on information and processes driving the assessment and reporting process. The role covers various subjects including supply and demand; infrastructure issues; transportation, regulation, etc., and the impact of those issues on markets. There will also be a requirement to track internal progress and process.
Learn how to cover markets in accord with Platts methodology and editorial standards -
- When approved by relevant directors, support market reporting team with front-line coverage
- Complete all elements of the learning roadmap for new market reporters
- Shadow market reporting staff and provide administrative support during assessment process
- Support compilation of Assessment Commentaries
- Support creation of bid, offer and trade summaries
Gathers commodity price information and produce price assessments/indexes -
- Follows price trends and reports internally on market activity
- Produce morning brief for oil market reporting team (for early shift)
- Verify that assessments have been sent to database and to PGA every day
- Verifies transactions or data information submissions
- Identifies pricing methodology issues in specific area of market coverage
- Continually scans the market for changes that might impact trading terms and practices
Reports daily news analysis -
- Writes a daily digest of market activity for reporters and management
- Reports on a wide variety of issues that impact commodity markets including, price trends, infrastructure issues; supply-demand trends and issues; regulatory issues
- Identifies news/information and its relevance to readership
Support industry research efforts -
- Keep track of industry change and brief editors on issues
- Attend occasional industry events and conferences and provide briefs and updates
- Support filing of meeting notes into Meeting Notes Form
Support editorial administrative activities and quality checking -
- Review assessments and formulas used for producing price assessments to validate
- Provide end-of-day support for sending wires (for late shift, check content as required before transmission)
- Support filing of complaints and queries into editorial Complaints Management System as directed
- Verify the sending of assessment data and copy over Wires
- Assist in keeping various editorial documentation updated
- Collate and publish trade recaps and outstanding interest in Market-on-Close process
- Support group systems and workflows such as the Methodology Tracker Tool
- Ensures copy and commentary is accurate, and aligns with pricing trends
- Helps review internal documentation including: market beat how-tos; source lists and reporting notes
- Adheres to relevant editorial standards and COE that govern market reporting practices
- BA or BSc degree in journalism, business or sciences preferred with approximately 2 years of reporting/writing/analytical experience; or a graduate degree in journalism, business, economics or finance; with 1 year of reporting/writing/analytical work experience.
- Displays well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills. The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
- Works well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team. Has subject matter expertise in one market
- Displays good numeracy including ability to conceptualize proportional relationships; understand the basic principles of algebra and statistics; as well as a basic understanding of how to apply basic math functions in Excel. A basic understanding of economics principles is also required.
- Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to readjust priorities throughout the day
- Displays good problem-solving and critical thinking capabilities
- Has good knowledge of Microsoft Excel ; Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook…); and basic keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy)
- Serve as a source of information and perspective to colleagues in a peer advisor role, as you assist your new colleagues to become acquainted with the organization. Sharing the knowledge acquired with the company and answering questions
- Multilingual capabilities a plus
About Platts and McGraw Hill Financial
At Platts, the premier source of commodities intelligence, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
Be part of a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company, and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of McGraw Hill Financial.
McGraw Hill Financial includes Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power, Platts, McGraw Hill Construction and Aviation Week. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
Learn more at www.mhfi.com/careers
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.