This entry-level position will work in a general support and analytical function for the Oil team. As a member of the bench, this editor is primarily involved in extensive training, support and research – all of which is part of preparing the editor for an eventual move into a price reporting role with one of our market reporting teams
The primary responsibility of the editor in this role is to learn how to cover markets, by completing all elements of the learning roadmap that we have created for market reporting staff. In addition, the editor assists with news-gathering and/or price gathering processes, and supports a publication or news team in publishing and news reporting activities. Other duties include the tracking of methodological changes and checking commentaries and assessment data.
Learn how to cover markets in accord with Platts methodology and editorial standards - Qualifications
• Complete all elements of the learning roadmap for new market reporters
• Shadow market reporting staff and provide administrative support during assessment process
• Support compilation of Assessment Commentaries
• Support creation of bid, offer and trade summaries
Support price assessment activities -
• Data checking and input
• Produce morning brief for oil market reporting team (for early shift)
• Verify that assessments have been sent to database and to PGA every day
• Gather and generate price information and track trends
• Verify transactions for data information submissions
• Provide copy editing support for pricing tables and publications
Support reporting and news gathering activities -
• Assist in reviewing copy for errors
• Fact-check information both in reporting and in price formation to adhere to quality initiatives
• Produce well-written, clean copy that conforms to Platts house style
• Assist with research and presentation preparation as required
Support industry research efforts -
• Keep track of industry change and brief editors on issues
• Attend occasional industry events and conferences and provide briefs and updates
• Support filing of meeting notes into Meeting Notes Form
Support editorial administrative activities -
• Assist in keeping various editorial documentation updated (i.e. source lists, how-to guides)
• Provide end-of-day support for sending wires (for late shift, check content as required before transmission)
• Support group systems and workflows such as the Methodology Tracker Tool
• Support filing of complaints and queries into editorial Complaints Management System as directed
• BA/BSc degree in journalism or business preferred and one year experience working as a reporter or in an analytical role could be of use
• Displays good communication skills with the ability to communicate across a wide range of groups
• Able to adapt to changing work assignments and works well in a team environment
• Strong basic math and English skills
• Good organizational and time management skills
• Good problem-solving capabilities and attention to detail
• Good computer and keyboarding skills with robust knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Multilingual capabilities a plus
About Platts and McGraw Hill Financial
At Platts, the premier source of commodities intelligence, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
Be part of a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company, and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of McGraw Hill Financial.
McGraw Hill Financial includes Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power & Associates, Platts, McGraw Hill Construction and Aviation Week. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
Learn more at www.mhfi.com/careers
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.